Saturday, February 4, 2017

Practice Makes Progress, Scrap Booking, and Food

When I think about how I came to the decision to become a teacher, there was no grand moment, and a light bulb did not magically appear above my head; my mom just simply suggested that I become a teacher, and now, I pursue this profession with so much passion and enthusiasm.  During this transition from student to educator, I had some doubts about whether I was good enough to be an English.  I have always considered myself an average writer throughout secondary school, and I even failed the A.P English exam.  How could I be an English teacher if I couldn't even master the fundamental concepts of the English language?

There is a quote by Dr. Seuss that summarizes how I feel about teaching, reading and myself: "The more that you read, the more you will know.  The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."  I didn't know that this simple quote could explains my four years of college.  My time spent reading, volunteering, and writing lesson has not only prepared me for my future classroom, but it has also given me the confidence to be the best teacher I can be.  Whether it was reading about classroom diversity, writing strategies, or world literature, I've realized that teachers aren't born, they're made.

 Image result for oh the places you'll go

There are a few things that I have in mind during spring break.
1.  I want to read a book that is not a required reading.  My parents got me Fahrenheit 451 for Christmas, so I think that is the first thing I'll do.
2.  I also want to play some soccer; with my busy schedule this semester, I know I won't have much time to be as active as I would like.  I can't wait to put on my cleats and kick a ball around and relieve some stress.
3.  I might start packing my bags! I'm moving back home in Jacksonville for my last semester, so it's never too early to get all of my stuff together.
4.  As a college student, I don't have a lot of opportunities to cook extravagant meals, but I am so tired of cooking plain pasta and baked potatoes.  I wish there was food that was cheap, easy to make, healthy, and delicious..... does anyone have favorite meals they would like to share that fits the criteria?
5.  When I graduated high school, I made a scrap book capturing all of the wonderful memories I had during my tenure at Middleburg High School.  I have never been creative and artistic, but I thought I could try.  It turned out pretty well, and I love being able to organize and do anything I want with it.  Now that I'm graduating in December, I have been thinking about starting a scrap book of my time in college.  I thought it would be a nice activity I can do during my spare time (if I have any).  Here are some pictures I thought about adding to my future scrap book.

 
 





7 comments:

  1. Hi Tabatha!

    Tacos are my go to healthy meal. Most people don't think of tacos as being healthy but they're so easy to customize! You can easily use ground turkey or chicken instead of ground beef. You can also skip the sour cream and cheese, adding fresh tomatoes, onions, avocado and salsa! Plus, the only thing you have to cook is the meat :) Which means you only have to clean one pan! Yessss!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lisa, I will definitely try that this week!

      Delete
  2. Hey Tabatha! I loved your Spring Break list and I need to make one because I have no ideas whatsoever. :-) There are a lot of healthy recipes for chicken online here:
    http://www.delish.com/healthy-recipes/
    http://allrecipes.com/

    All Recipes is my favorite online source for recipes because they are very easy and don't include too many ingredients I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tabatha. Love your list! I also love to cook and I'm pescetarian, so I'm always looking for cheap, easy, healthy dishes as well. This website is my go-to: http://minimalistbaker.com/. There are so many amazing dishes to choose from and the ones I've made are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tabatha!

    I tried to post on yours earlier, but I'm not sure what happened, so I'm sorry if you get two posts from me lmfao.

    I'm really liking your scrapbook pictures. I've always wanted to do something like that, but alas, I'm lazy (story of my life).

    As for the food issue, go to Aldi! I buy a ton of healthy meat and veggies for dirt cheap there - it's awesome. As for recipes, I can't help you because anything I cook turns to garbage; my boyfriend cooks, and I clean, so I really dodged the cooking bullet.

    I think it's really interesting how you decided to pursue teaching. Is there anything in particular that keeps that passion alive for you?

    - Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Tabatha, a website that I really like to use for cheap recipes is https://www.budgetbytes.com/
    I think it's perfect for college students or those on a budget. I have made a lot of their stuff and it's super cheap but still yummy. The only suggestion I have is that the recipes don't really call for seasoning like salt and pepper, so make sure you don't leave those out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tabatha- As a graduate of MHS, you must know about Green Cove Springs, that is where I am from. Will you do your senior internship there? I love your teaching quote, because just not school makes you a better teacher, life does.

    ReplyDelete