Saturday, April 22, 2017

Final Reflection

After writing several blog posts over the past few months, I realized that traditional writing as well as archaic material may not be the best way to get students to write.  It's important to give young adolescents the opportunities to explore topics that relevant to them and provide writing activities that are engaging.  I've learned that digital writing can be a helpful tool in education; blogging has allowed me to express myself in a risk-free environment, and I felt that I had a lot of freedom to write about anything that was on my mind or at least choose something that I wanted to research within the assigned posts.  One lesson that I can take into my classroom and advise other teachers is that blog writing is easy for teachers who may be uncomfortable for teachers who do not incorporate a lot of technology into their curriculum, and routine blog writing coincides with the Common Core standard that requires students to write continuously over the course of a year.  For many teachers, it is hard to implement writing during in-class instruction, so assigning online writing activities could make up for the lack of written work in school.  Although I didn't think I faced a lot of issues with digital writing, but one issue that I may come across came from the technology post.  After researching several websites that can be used to enhance the classroom, I found that most of them require subscriptions and payment, and that would make it hard to access these wonderful resources.

Tabatha Kless

5 comments:

  1. Tabatha,

    I too like the low risk environment of blogging. I think this will be an easy way to get students to write for homework; they can do it on their phones easily. I can't wait to try it. Technology can be pricey; best to have a PLC pitch in for tools, when possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like the low-risk environment that blogging brings to kids. I do think it also does as you said expand the opportunity for writing practice and allow for creative writing space too. Good work staying focused and finishing the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like the low-risk environment that blogging brings to kids. I do think it also does as you said expand the opportunity for writing practice and allow for creative writing space too. Good work staying focused and finishing the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also mentioned the low risk environment that digital writing provides students. (This has become one of my favorite aspects of digital writing!) I also liked that you mention that "traditional" writing may not always be the best route, all though it is important I like that digital writing provides more oppurtunities and encompases so many different types of writing, it definitely can keep you on your toes and there will always be more to learn and try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tabatha
    I'm very happy I got to know you this semester and was able to read your blog. Your posts are always very realistic and inspiring. Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete